Thursday, February 11, 2010

Getting Silly With the New Kid: Breakers' Rookie Forward Lauren Cheney

The following is part of a weekly series in which writer Todd Civin presents the lighter side of the Boston Breakers of Women's Professional Soccer (WPS).


The league's PR campaign is built based on the down-to-earth nature and approachability of its athletes. "Getting Silly with the Breakers" is a fun-filled way to create a comfortable bond between the fans and the professional athletes who are the Boston Breakers.

A special thanks to Erica Hunt, the communications director for the team, as well as the players themselves for making this approach possible.

Together with fellow WPS rookie, Tobin Heath, and rookie emeritus, Amy Rodriguez, they've been affectionately referred to as the New Kids of the Women's National Team.

After you watch the following Youtube video featuring the affable trio, you may be tempted to rename them Curly, Larry and Moe. The Three Stooges of the WPS represent the new face of Women's Professional Soccer and each promise to not only make an immediate impact to their respective teams this season, but also share the light hearted and approachable personality that Women's Professional Soccer is trying to project.

Cheney, the number two selection in the recent WPS college draft out of UCLA, was not only the first player in UCLA history to earn NSCAA All-America honors all four years of her college career, but is also the first rookie to be subjected to one of my Getting Silly interviews.

If the 2008 Olympic Gold medalist from Indianapolis can handle feeds from Lilly, Smith and Osborne, with the same skill that she handled my series of random questions, it looks like she will represent the face of Breakers soccer long after the wet behind her ears dries.

Todd Civin: What is the first place you want to see in Boston?

Lauren Cheney: I have a little bit of a shopping problem, so I have heard I want to check out Newbury Street.



TC: As a native of Indiana, can we expect you to change allegiances and become a Patriots Fan?

LC: Although I am not a huge football fan, NEVER will I go to the dark side. Go Colts!



TC: Who is a better QB, Tom Brady or Peyton Manning?

LC: Peyton is unreal. He is not only the best quarterback but he plays for a pretty great city.

TC: (The previous question was asked and responded to before Peyton spit the bit in the Super Bowl.)



TC: Will there be any off field wagering between you Heath and A-Rod?

LC: Maybe for a trip to Coffee Bean.



TC: Rumor has it the three of you are envious of each other. Is there any
truth to that?

LC: Envious? Well I really do like the shirt Tobin just got and Arod has a pretty nice bag that I want. Good thing they are two of my best friends.



TC: Share your nicknames with us .

LC: Chain, Chain-dog, Che are the ones I hear from my teammates, but at home I am known as Lo.



TC: Favorite sports movie of all time?

LC: I love "Remember the Titans" but "Love and Basketball" would be a close second.



TC: Which leading male actor do you find to be more your type, Dwight Schrute or Michael Scott?

LC: Dwight Schrute for sure. I am actually hoping he sees this.



TC: As a child did you eat the crust or cut it off?

LC: I think I ate the crust. My love for food has never changed.



TC: Favorite fattening desert?

LC: Ice Cream!



TC: Oldest childhood friend and something that bothers you about her?

LC: My oldest childhood friend is Jessica Stevens. We grew up together since we were six years old. The one thing that drives me crazy about her is that she is still in Indianapolis and not with me.



TC: You went to Ben Davis High School in Indianapolis. Who is Ben Davis?


LC: Funny you ask. I actually have no clue. Someone asked me that the other day and I thought that maybe I should look into that. Still haven't gotten around to it.



TC: On a serious note, you had open heart surgery when you were three. How scary was that? Did you get ice cream?

LC: I did have surgery when I was three but I don't really remember it being scary for me. Thankfully, I have very strong and supportive parents because I am sure it was terrifying for them. I'm sure I got ice cream. I was pretty spoiled.



TC: You helped lead your high school basketball team to an undefeated season
as a sophomore guard and were selected all conference twice, are you sure you selected the right sport?

LC: I LOVE basketball, but my first passion has always been soccer. I still play basketball any chance I get. Anyone want to play pick up in Boston?



TC: You were the consensus number one recruit coming out of high school, but selected only number two in the WPS draft, what caused your game to slip?

LC: Seriously? I was trying to figure that out also. Maybe the California sun and the beautiful beach took up too much of my time.



TC: Who really should have won the M.A.C. Herman Trophy?

LC: Kelley O'Hara for sure. I think she had more points then Tobin and I combined. She is a stud.



TC: How much fun was it to appear in the PUMA/WPS fashion show?

LC: The fashion show was great. I could have done without the makeup, but dancing and running around with some pretty awesome girls was a blast.



TC: Do you believe in rookie hazing and would you consider shaving your head to become a Breaker?

LC: Coming out of college hazing is absolutely not acceptable. Don't get me wrong I am excited for Boston, but I don't know how excited they would be for me with a shaved head.



TC: Did you learn any Chinese while playing in the Olympics?

LC: Ni Hao (translates to hello) :)

Todd Civin is a freelance writer who writes for Bleacher Report, Sports, Then and Now, and Seamheads. He also shares his top stories on his blog The 'xoxo' of Sports. He is a supporter of Team Hoyt, the father/son marathon and triathlon team of Dick and Rick Hoyt. He encourages you to support their movement of "Yes, I Can" by visiting their Web site at www.teamhoyt.com

No comments:

Post a Comment