Thursday, February 4, 2010

Getting Silly With the Doctor in the House: Boston Breakers’ Maggie Tomecka

The following is part of a weekly series in which writer,Todd Civin, presents the lighter side of the Boston Breakers of Women's Professional Soccer (WPS).

The league is built based on the down-to-earth nature and approachability of its athletes. "Getting Silly with the Breakers" is an fun-filled way to create a comfortable bond between the fans and the professional athletes who are the Boston Breakers.

A special thanks to Erica Hunt, the communications director for the team, as well as the players themselves for making this approach possible.

As a person who can barely walk and chew gum at the same time, I marvel at a person who is born with an over abundance of talent. It seems like the cards fall the right way for some and the genetic pool blesses them with athletic ability, intelligence, and head-turning good looks, while guys like me struggle through life merely with the head-turning good looks (Yes, even I'm laughing).

The Boston Breakers resident Resident, Maggie Tomecka boasts a resume that looks more like a combination of resumes. Doctor of medicine, Professional Soccer player, two-time college National Champion, high school basketball star, Polish immigrant. And did I mention, tall, blond and blue eyes?

That's right, Dr. Tomecka was blessed with more quality DNA in her right pinky than many of us have in the town we were born in. And if that's not enough, she's personable and really funny.

Tomecka was kind enough to share her quick witted sense of humor in this week's edition of Getting Silly with the Breakers.












Todd: What made your family decide on of all places, Shrewsbury MA after leaving Poland?

Maggie: Shrewsbury is just a fabulous place to live. Home of the one and only Dragon 88. All those who live there know what I am talking about.


TC: Do you speak any Polish and if so, tell us something in your native tongue.

MT: Yes. The spelling would throw you off though. We can talk later.


TC: You led Shrewsbury High to the State semi's in basketball, can you dunk?

MT: Of course, that's child's play. I can touch the top of the backboard. Don't believe me? How much you willing to bet?



TC: Nickname in High School?

MT: Magda. People had trouble saying my full name, Magdalena. Later it turned into Mags.



TC: Is there any place in the world better to shop than Spag's (famous store in Shrewsbury)?

MT: Doubt it. Spag's was the bomb.


TC: Your WPS bio says you would have a dinner party with both Elvis and Obama. What would you serve?

MT: Cocktails.


TC: Favorite flavor of cheesecake at the Cheesecake Factory?

MT: There are so many amazing cheesecakes there, I can't pick just one. Banana Cream, White Chocolate Raspberry Truffle, Tiramisu. The list goes on.


TC: Tell us about the goal you scored vs. Connecticut in the NCAA quarterfinals as a freshman.

MT: Wow, I can't believe you have a record of that. It was a shot from 30 yards out into the right upper (corner). Couldn't do it again if I tried. I was shocked when it went in.


TC: Who was bigger on the UNC campus, you or Dean Smith?

MT: I would have to say Dean Smith. He has just a few more championships.


TC: What was it like working in Dominica for two years?

MT: It was a great experience working at clinics in the poor communities there. I can't say I didn't miss the U.S. though. Life in Dominica was a little different, the power would go out weekly, tap water would be brown when it rained, food consisted of tropical fruits and chicken.

Calling America was expensive, and I missed my friends and family. It was definitely a character building experience, which I wouldn't trade for the world.


TC: At six-feet tall, are you the tallest player in the WPS?

MT: Probably.


TC: What did your boss say when you told him you had to leave your residency to play pro soccer?

MT: My plan to go back and forth, doing my residency for six months at a time in the off-season, was all arranged prior to starting, so I never actually had to tell anyone I was "leaving." The Anesthesia Department at UNC has been beyond supportive of me achieving my personal goals and dreams.

Although, I can't say I don't sometimes question my sanity. Trying to balance everything can get a little overwhelming at times. It is well worth it though. I love playing soccer and playing in WPS has been one of the most special times in my life.


TC: Your Tarheel teams won two National Championship teams and you went 27-0 in 2003. What was the one highlight of your college career?

MT: Winning the championship my senior year, finishing off a perfect season. Well, either that or running 120's every Tuesday. It's a close call.


TC: To expand on that, your high school soccer team won the district finals and went to the state semi-finals,your club team won two state titles, your college teams won two National championships, you are a doctor of medicine and a pro soccer player and your family escaped from Poland to emigrate to the US. What's next?

MT: Retirement.


TC: Which of these moments are you most proud of?

MT: I just thank God for everything He has blessed me with, including an amazing family, friends and career.


TC: Which would you rather win...A Gold medal in soccer or a Noble Prize in medicine?

MT: Wow, hmm, I would take either. Preferably both.


TC: What is it like to play your home games at Harvard Stadium?

MT: It's awesome. It's so easily accessible for fans, so a lot of my friends have been able to come to games. It's a beautiful stadium in the most prestigious university in the world. I mean, I can't complain.


TC: Coolest person you've met as a result of being a Breaker?

MT: Christine "Lay-down" Latham


TC: Favorite all time episode on Friends?

The Poker Episode, just because I had to act it out in my drama class in high school. (I was Monica...shocker, totally OCD)


TC: Did you ride the mechanical bull pictured on your facebook page?

MT: Absolutely not. How did you get on my page? I am going to have to adjust those privacy settings.

Todd Civin is a freelance writer who writes for Bleacher Report, Sports, Then and Now, and Seamheads. He is a supporter of A Glove of Their Own, the award-winning children’s story that teaches paying it forward through baseball. He also shares his top stories on his blog The 'xoxo' of Sports.

No comments:

Post a Comment