Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Writers Wanted To Holler From The Tree Tops Of WPS

He who has a thing to sell,
And goes and whispers in a well,
Is not so apt to get the dollars
As he who climbs a tree and hollers.

So were the words on a Lipton tea bag that I sipped from at my little Grandma Civin's house about 30 years ago. Grandma was a tiny woman, with a slight Russian accent. A pleasant woman who had more friends than anyone I had ever met. I reminisce foolishly but all in all just wanted to tell the story of my tea bag.

I loved to drink at Gram's house due in part to the sayings on her Lipton tea bags. Even when they'd sink into the bottom of my cup, I'd fish them out and let them dry on my napkin as I drank tea and ate Stella Doro cookies with Gram.

I remember this one vividly and kept it in my wallet for years. I wasn't sure if and when I'd ever use it. Today seems right.

The new Women's Professional Soccer League has embarked on it's maiden voyage and three of us Bleacher Report writers have taken up the task of becoming the league's voice. Jo-Ryan Salazar has befriended the gals of the Los Angeles Sol, John Howell has done the same the for the Chicago Red Star.

We, the Few, The Proud, The Writers of the WPS have thrust the league upon our shoulders and, for whatever reason, have become committed to the success of the league. As the league grows we do the same.

Sort of a journalistic version of she scratches mine and I do the same for her (no comment, honey...a simile....).

We are the trend setters, the trail blazers..The Lewis and Clarks of the Women's Professional Soccer League. But our map is missing cities.

Though I would love to take me a road trip every other week to the City of Arches it simply isn't going to happen. And if I go to DC it is to play some hoop with Barack not to watch a futbol match. And frankly, I don't know where the cities of FC Gold Pride and Sky Blue FC even are.

So this is where you come in....As my Athletic Director said to me as a high school freshman, "Hey kid, you like sports? Can you write? Okay, you're our school sports writer." I say the same to you some three decades later. Hey kid? Can you write?

Drop me an email at toddcivin1@aim.com or on my Bleacher Report Bulletin board. Though I'm sure you can figure things out on your own, I'm happy to help.

And when you get to the top of that tree..tell me if you can see FC or Sky Blue from there.

No comments:

Post a Comment