Monday, March 1, 2010

Getting Silly With Angeli; Boston Breakers Jordan Angeli

The following is part of a weekly series in which writer Todd Civin presents the lighter side of the Boston Breakers of Women's Professional Soccer (WPS).

The league is built based on the down-to-earth nature and approachability of its athletes. "Getting Silly with the Breakers" is a fun-filled way to create a comfortable bond between the fans and the professional athletes who are the Boston Breakers.

A special thanks to Erica Hunt, the communications director for the team, as well as the players themselves for making this approach possible.

Boston Breakers rookie defender, Jordan Angeli, tweeted the following last night in anticipation for her initial day as an official member of Women's Professional Soccer, "First day with the Breakers tomorrow."

For most little girls the thought of starting work as a professional soccer player, would probably be mind boggling. For the little red headed girl from Lakewood, Colorado, the thought is a lesson in dedication and perseverance.

Angeli, who was named the 2009 West Coast Conference (WCC) defender of the year while playing for the Santa Clara Broncos, has waited for this day for six years after being forced to red-shirt the 2007 and 2008 seasons due to debilitating knee injuries.

Angeli, who scored twelve goals as a sophomore in 2005, suffered a torn ACL in her left knee before her senior season in 2007. After months of grueling rehab, the same ligament gave away as she prepared for her second senior season in 2008.

Third time is a charm they say as her injury is now a distant memory. She came back as strong as ever during her "third" senior campaign, leading the Broncos to a 14-7-2 record. While starting all 23 games for Santa Clara, she led the team in goals (7), points (17), and game winners (4) while scoring the game-winning goal in overtime on two occasions (Sept. 6 at Georgetown, and Oct. 18 at St. Mary's).

Her long awaited entry into the professional ranks was made official when Breakers coach Tony DiCicco slected her in the second round with the 16th pick in the draft. She and four of her Santa Clara teammates were selected in the 2010 draft, second only to University of North Carolina with seven.

So as Angeli prepares to step on the Breakers practice field to start her much awaited WPS career, the precocious gal with the orange locks was nice enough to let her hair down in the following edition of Getting Silly with the Breakers.

As you will see, she not only plays a mean game of soccer, but can also play the recorder with her nose and isn't afraid to exchange a few barbs when prodded.


Todd Civin: How long does it take you to straighten your hair?

Jordan Angeli: I have a pretty good system going now so I can just blow-dry it straight in about 20 minutes. Then I have to touch it up a little after to make sure its not too poofy. Sometimes it can resemble look something like a Pomeranian! This is much better then the 45 minutes it used to take. But this is a rare occasion, I tend to rock the curls most of the time.


TC: The Santa Clara media guide states that you can play the recorder with your nose...will you be putting on a demonstration for your new teammates?

JA: Give me a recorder and I will give them a little tune to sing-a-long to!



TC: It states your favorite cartoon growing up was Ninja Turtle. Which of the four was your favorite and why?

JA: I liked Michelangelo. Orange was my favorite color so that was my initial connection to him. Then he was a goof-ball and loved pizza so it was a match made in heaven.


TC: What has been your greatest all-time soccer moment

JA: This is a hard one. Playing Notre Dame my sophomore year was such a fun game. Scoring two goals and beating the defending National Champs at home under the lights was pretty amazing. I also loved playing for my country and with some of my best friends in the U20 World Cup in Russia. Our game against Germany in the quarters was one of the best games I have ever played in.

But, I am most proud of this past fall when I overcame all my injuries to play every game my senior year. Stepping back on the field in my Number 18 Santa Clara jersey was one of the top five happiest moments of my life. I don't think I stopped smiling the whole game.

TC: It took you six years to graduate college, too much partying?

JA: When you're the life of the party, no one wants you to leave! That and none of my teachers would pass me. No, I had a couple of injuries that held me back, but it just made the old saying "college is the best four years of your life" change a little to "the best six years of my life." I was okay with that!


TC: You red-shirted your 2007 and 2008 seasons, did the shirt clash with your hair?

JA: Yes and it was traumatizing! Red was never my color. I should of thought of that before I got injured.


TC: Your Favorite shop at Belmar Shopping Mall?

JA: Tough one...I probably spend the most money there at the movie theater, my last purchase being Valentine's Day. There is a little coffee shop called, The Press Coffee which has delicious drinks and treats. But, my all time favorite was American Apparel which I loved, but they took it out a couple years ago. So I guess I am still kinda mad at them for taking that out.


TC: Will Santa Clara Stuft Pizza be naming a menu item after you?

JA: Actually, now that you mention it, I need to call them back with a confirmation on the new pizza flavor. Guess you will just have to take a trip to Stuft to find out what it is.


TC: And your greatest achievement or moment outside of soccer?

JA: In college I was in a business writing class where we had to develop a community service project and implement it. Our group chose Right to Play, which give underprivileged kids in countries across the world a chance to play sports. We raised over $1,300 which was donated directly to Right to Play.

The reason it meant so much to me is because sport has been such a huge part of my life and I was excited to help provide that opportunity to other kids from all over the world. The class was awesome and it is an accomplishment that I will never forget.


TC: You scored a team leading 12 goals as a sophomore on 80 shots. Six game winners. Were you the biggest thing on campus?

JA: If you would call someone who is carried around on a queen-like throne the biggest thing on campus, then yes.


TC: Greatest player in SCU history, you, Leslie Osborne, Ali Wagner or Brandi Chastain?

JA: That is a tough one. I obviously don't quite belong with those caliber of players yet because all three of them are amazing and I look up to all of them. But of course, I have to go with my good friend and teammate again, Leslie Osborne.


TC: Did you participate in the cardboard boat race made famous at Green Mountain High or was that started after you graduated?

JA: It must be a new thing because I have never heard of it. And, my family could vouch for this, that I probably wouldn't be too good at making a cardboard boat because I have always been better at taking things apart/breaking them then putting them together.


TC: Describe your ideal breakfast?

JA: Yum. Breakfast is my favorite but I would want a little of everything. French toast, chocolate chip pancakes, veggie scramble with egg whites, yogurt with granola and fruit! Just about four bites of each with a vanilla latte on the side...ideal! A lot of food, but what can I say? I love breakfast!


TC: Greatest single thing about growing up in Colorado?

JA: Colorado was an amazing place to grow up. I loved fall time for a couple reasons. First, it is so colorful with all the leaves changing to yellow, orange, red. When I was at school, my Mom would send me pictures of the trees in our neighborhood to give me a little taste of Colorado. Fall also meant club soccer.

I played for the Colorado Rush for my whole club career and my team was pretty much the same for those eight years. I played with girls, who are still some of my best friends to this day. I loved being around them at practice, games, and away trips. We have some great memories that made growing up in Colorado amazing.


TC: What will be the first thing you want to see when you arrive in Boston?

JA: I have never been to Boston so there will be many places for me to explore. The Boston Tea Party Museum is pretty high up there on the list. I love going to sporting events so I want to go to a Celtics and Bruins game, but don't be mad if I root for the Nuggets and Avalanche (sorry I'm a Colorado girl at heart!).

I really cant wait to go to Fenway Park and watch a baseball game in the summer. My Dad got me a Red Sox shirt when I was little and I it has always made me want to go there. I am just excited for a new city and to learn my way around.


TC: If you could prepare dinner for one famous person, who would it be and what would you serve?

JA: I have always had a thing for Justin Timberlake. I think it was those curly-cues back in his N'sync days that really hooked me. I don't know what I would serve though. I love watching the food network and trying new things. Cooking has turned into my new hobby so I would probably try something new and hope it turns out great for my first, of hopefully many, dinner dates with Justin.


TC: Most embarrassing life moment?

JA: It might sound weird, but I don't really get embarrassed that easily. I just laugh at myself when I do something stupid because everyone else is. I figure I might as well join in on the fun.


TC: Favorite ice cream flavor?

JA: Cappuccino Chip Gelato from Dolce Spazio in Los Gatos, CA. I could eat it everyday!


TC: One thing the fans of Boston should know about you.

JA: I do a pretty mean Rock Band rendition of Spice Girls "Wannabe." I own the mic!


Todd Civin is a freelance writer who writes for Bleacher Report, Sports, Then and Now, and Seamheads. He also shares his top stories on his blog The 'xoxo' of Sports. He is a supporter of Team Hoyt, the father/son marathon and triathlon team of Dick and Rick Hoyt. He encourages you to support their movement of "Yes, I Can" by visiting their Web site at www.teamhoyt.com

No comments:

Post a Comment