Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Getting Silly With A Lady Longhorn; Boston Breakers' Kasey Moore

The following is part of a weekly series in which writer,Todd Civin, presents the lighter side of the Boston Breakers of Women's Professional Soccer (WPS).


The league is built based on the down-to-earth nature and approachability of its athletes. "Getting Silly with the Breakers" is an fun-filled way to create a comfortable bond between the fans and the professional athletes who are the Boston Breakers.

A special thanks to Erica Hunt, the communications director for the team, as well as the players themselves for making this approach possible.

Born in Riverside, CA and raised in Mission Viejo, Kasey Moore has probably spent more than her share of time in one of three places: the beach, the mall or a traffic jam.

Then what would motivate a girl from the valley to decide to pack her beach-ball and surfboard and take her game to the University of Texas to play for the Longhorns?

Cowboys? Chewing tobacco? Tumbleweed?

Spurs? Mechanical bull riding? Only her hairdresser knows for sure.

They say you can take the girl out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the girl and if the same holds true for a Valley Girl, one can assume that Kasey Moore looked like a fish out of water walking down Main Street in University Texas.

As you can see from the interview for this week's segment of Getting Silly with The Breakers, Moore apparently settled in just fine and even got herself a pair of cowboy boots before shipping off to Boston.

Check her out in the video below sporting her bright orange Longhorn T-shirt opposite her bright orange curly hair. No one says "Hook 'em" like the Breaker's defender, Kasey Moore.

Now y'all come back now, ya hear?



Todd Civin: You went to college at University of Texas....can I assume you watched the National Championship game against Alabama?

Kasey Moore: I had the date marked on my calendar since football season started knowing we were going to make it there and I was lucky enough to actually be at the game on. I am from Southern California, but my family was having a hard time finding tickets. We found some tickets for my parents and I to go a few days before the game and decided to go for it and get them!

Needless to say it was a tough loss, but that game may have been one of the best games I've ever been to! Hook 'Em!



TC: Who was more popular on campus the Men's football team or the Women's Soccer team?

KM: As much as I would like to say women's soccer, I don't think any sport is even close to being as popular as the football team. I have had some of them in my classes and lets put it this way... no one is coming up to the women's soccer players in the middle of class and asking for their autographs!!!



TC: What was the biggest transition going from CA to TX to Boston?

KM: Being from Southern California, I am a beach bum and moving to Texas was a little different because there were not too many beaches.... OK, actually no beaches close to me.

I finally got used to Texas and even bought my first pair of cowboy boots and then moved to Boston. Boston was unlike any city I've ever lived in and I love it. Between living in Orange County, CA, Austin, TX and Boston, I am just loving life.



TC: You were a three time All-American from University of Texas, more than Earl Campbell, Ricky Williams, Vince Young and Cedrick Benson. How does that make you feel?

KM: Wow! I had never heard that stat before. I see Earl Campbell around campus all the time when I am in Austin and that man is a legend. To even be mentioned in the same sentence as him is amazing. All those guys have done such great things for UT and are just larger than life!



TC: Which would you rather eat from your favorite restaurant, the Renaissance, Dana Point? Would it be the Terragon Chicken or the New York Sirloin?

KM: Renassiance is amazing! My grandpa has owned the building since I was a little kid and have been going there forever, but I would actually have to go with their Black and Bleu steak. Hands down without a doubt one of my favorite meals!



TC: You will forever go down as the second pick in the history of the Boston Breakers of The WPS, how did that make you feel?

KM: It was just such an honor. I didn't really know what to expect on draft day and for them to pick me as their second pick was just an amazing feeling!



TC: Is your hair naturally curly? Is it humanly possible to straighten it?

KM: Yes my hair is naturally this curly and if someone has four hours and would like to straighten my hair for me, give me a call because there is no way I have the patience to do it myself!



TC: You scored three goals in the 2003 Snickers National Championship game. Did they give you a life time supply of candy bars?

KM: I wish! If they did gave a lifetime supply of candy bars I probably would have ended up Biggest Loser or something by now.



TC: Who is a crazier teammate, Nobis or Latham?

KM: Latham hands down. That girl can have me rolling on the floor laughing in like point two seconds and gotta love that she is from the BIG 12.



TC: How did you feel when Jon and Kate divorced?

KM: It broke my heart. Those kids are so cute I can't handle it. If I could adopt Aiden, the little one with the glasses, I would do it in a second. I watched the show just because the kids were so cute.



TC: Favorite sports movie of all times?

KM: Bull Durham, without a doubt. I could watch that movie over and over again and it never gets old. Crash Davis may be my all time favorite sports character ever!



TC: What was it like for you playing next to the MedImmune Defensive Player of the Year, Amy Lepeilbet?

KM: It was great. Amy is one of the nicest people I have ever met and then she gets on the field and you are like "Whoa this is hands down one of the best defenders I have ever seen". I was so happy when she won the award because she works so hard day in and day out and deserved to be recognized for it!



TC: Who were you playing with the first time you said to yourself "Holy Cow, I'm playing with...."?

KM: Kristine Lily. I remember being one of those annoying, screaming little girls at the 1999 Women's World Cup final game against China and now to be playing with her just blows my mind. I was cleaning out my room in California over the break and I found some stuff signed by Lil and just started laughing. Things have definitely come full circle.



TC: And just to prove there's still some valley left in you, you graduated from Capestrano HS. Have you seen the Capestrano Cougar tackling the Diablo Mascot on youtube? Do you approve?

KM: I totally approve!!! That is actually one of the things I remember most from high school. One of my best friends, Matt Ankeny, who was this basketball player and over 6 feet tall was the cougar and he got suspended from school for like a week for doing that. He had no idea, but there was actually a girl inside the Diablo costume and people were not too happy with him after that. The students loved it, but the faculty was not too pleased.



Todd Civin is a freelance writer who writes for Bleacher Report, Sports, Then and Now, and Seamheads. He also shares his top stories on his blog The 'xoxo' of Sports. He is a supporter of Team Hoyt, the Father/son marathon and triathlon team of Dick and Rick Hoyt. He encourages you to support their movement of "Yes, I Can" by visiting their website at www.teamhoyt.com

No comments:

Post a Comment