Saturday, January 16, 2010

Getting A Really, Tiny Bit Silly with The Breakers' Erika Sutton

The following is part of a weekly series in which writer Todd Civin presents the lighter side of the Boston Breakers of the WPS.

The league prides itself in the down-to-earth nature and approachability of its athletes, and Civin believes that "Getting Silly with the Breakers" is an fun-filled way to create a comfortable bond between the fans and the professional athletes who are the Boston Breakers.

A special thanks to Erica Hunt, the communications director for the team, as well as the players themselves for making this approach possible.


After three weeks of "Getting Silly With the Breakers" by interviewing the likes of Leslie Osborne, Tiffany Weimer and Christine Latham, my opinion of the Breakers team is that if they weren't playing professional soccer they could be doing stand-up comedy.

Each of the three were not only unintimidated by my dry sense of humor, but were downright equal to the task. Several times during the opening three segments I had to wipe saliva off of my chin after doing one of those disgusting snort laughs which seem to plague me. During my upcoming episode with Breaker star Jenny Nobis, I found myself repeatedly spewing saliva on my cat while typing up her interview.

And then I ran into Erika Sutton, who, though certainly kind enough to let down her hair and get into her off the field life, will never be confused with John Candy or Ellen Degeneres.

Let's just say that if Sutton and I were a comedy team there is no doubt which one of us would play the straight man. And, if we were different flavors of ice-cream, my guess is I would be tutti fruity and Erika would be either vanilla or maybe strawberry. And, if we were members of the Book of The Month Club, there is little doubt that I'd be Twilight and Erika would be the Bible.

Erika certainly played within the rules established by yours truly, but never strayed from her kind, straight forward and polite way of answering my slightly zany questions. I guess I now understand it when my mom always asked why I never bring home, "nice girls." They're just too nice.

So with no further need for any comedic build-up, I have changed the name of Getting Silly with the Breakers' to Getting A Really, Tiny Bit Silly with Erika Sutton.

And as my Dad always says, "Todd, that's why they make Chocolate and Vanilla."


Civ: You began your college career in SD State Aztecs and then moved to Florida State Seminoles, will it be an adjustment for you to play for a team without a Native American name?

Erika: Haha. I think that the transition will go smoothly.



Civ: The Aztec media guide refers to you as one of the most explosive freshman in the country, do you know how this is calculated?

Erika: I have no clue, but I am guessing it was a personal opinion.



Civ: You entered FL State as a junior transfer and then joined the Breakers mid-season, is the transition of being the new kid on the block a similar transition?

Erika: In many ways yes, but a little more intimidating.



Civ: Favorite baseball team? Angels, Dodgers, Giants and Padres? And have you ever seen baseball Fenway park style?


Erika: The Colorado Rockies!!! No, I have never seen baseball at Fenway, but I hope to catch a game while I am up in Boston.



Civ: You appeared in one game for the Breakers last year, what thoughts were running through your head as you warmed up for the game?

Erika: Well my mind was racing, so I was just telling myself to stay calm.



Civ: How you hope to use your education after your soccer career ends?

Erika: I will most likely go back to school and get my masters in Counseling. Then eventually go into the field of Christian Counseling.



Civ: You are 22, while Kristine Lilly is 38, do you feel you'll have to slow down your game so that she can keep up with you?

Erika: Good One! No not at all, if anything I am sure she will be helping me to keep up with her.



Civ: If you could invite any three people to dinner, who would they be and what would you serve?

Erika: Jesus, Bobby Bowden, and Mark Driscoll. And I would probably serve BBQ.



Civ: The soccer skill which came with most difficulty?

Erika: I am not really sure. All of them come with a lot of practice.



Civ: I know you are a very spiritual person, do you point skyward when you score a goal? Do you think it would be odd if this technique was used in non-sports related jobs, like should a toll booth worker point skyward when he collects a toll or a waitress when she serves a dinner?

Erika: I don’t have a ritual celebration, but God gave me the ability to play soccer, therefore I glorify him by playing to the best of my ability. Some may find it odd, but I wouldn’t. I would probably laugh and be encouraged by their faith, and give them a high five.



Civ: Are any of your FSU teammates in the WPS and if not, who do you feel could be?

Erika: Mami Yamaguchi, Sarah Wagenfuhr



Civ: Would you rather win a World Cup, an Olympic Gold or the WPS Championship Cup?

Erika: All of them would be nice.


Civ: You played all minutes in the game against FC Gold, were you tired?

Erika: Yes



Civ: Did your family make it to the game?

Erika: Yes, my very supportive mom and dad made it to the game.



Civ: Which would you rather do, score a goal or strip the ball from Marta?

Erika: I would have to say both.



Civ: You committed a foul in the game you played, was it a good call?

Erika: Yes

Civ: Favorite snack food?

Erika: Oreos

Favorite fast food restaurant?

Erika: Chick-Fil-A



Civ: Favorite food? Favorite cartoon character? Favorite desert item?

Burrito, Ariel, Brownie Pizza



Civ: As part of the maiden season of the WPS, what do you think this will mean to women players in the future?

Erika: I think that this will inspire women to play at the next level, and am thankful that women have been given such a great opportunity.



Civ: What number do you hope to wear this year?

Erika: It doesn’t really matter to me. I am just excited to wear a Breakers jersey.

No comments:

Post a Comment